بيرايوس


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

كان بيرايوس (أو بيرايوس) هو الميناء القديم لأثينا طوال الفترات القديمة والكلاسيكية والهيلينستية ، وكان يتألف في الواقع من ثلاثة موانئ منفصلة - كانتاروس وزيا وميونخيا. كان الأول هو الأكبر ويستخدم للنشاط التجاري ، في حين تم تخصيص جزء من Kantharos والمرفئين الآخرين الأصغر للاستخدام العسكري لإيواء الأسطول الأثيني الضخم الذي سمح للمدينة بأن تكون واحدة من أقوى اللاعبين في اليونان ومنطقة البحر الأبيض المتوسط ​​الأوسع. عبر العصور القديمة.

تقع بيرايوس على بعد 7 كيلومترات (5 أميال) جنوب غرب أثينا ، وهي في الواقع شبه جزيرة من الحجر الجيري توفر موانئ طبيعية استغلها الأثينيون لإنشاء ما كان ، في أوجها في القرن الخامس قبل الميلاد ، أهم ميناء وأكبر قاعدة بحرية في العالم اليوناني. أصبح الميناء مستوطنة مزدهرة في حد ذاته وكان عبارة عن مجمع ضخم من حظائر السفن ومكاتب الشحن والمستودعات والبنوك وأحواض بناء السفن والعديد من الشركات الثانوية الأخرى مثل المتاجر وبيوت الدعارة.

حظائر بيرايوس للسفن

حظائر السفن (نيوسويكو) ضرورة لأي أسطول كبير من السفن القديمة ، وخاصة السفن الحربية ثلاثية الأبعاد. لا يمكن لهذه السفن الخشبية البقاء في الماء إلى أجل غير مسمى لمنعها من أن تصبح مسجلة بالمياه ، وتتضرر من تقلبات الطقس ، وتغلفها البرنقيل وتأكلها دودة السفن ، كان يجب سحبها إلى الشاطئ وحمايتها من العوامل الجوية إن أمكن. كانت حظائر السفن عادةً عبارة عن مبانٍ ضيقة طويلة (بطول 40 مترًا وعرض 6 أمتار) مع سقف ومفتوح عند نهاية البحر. لتوفير تهوية جيدة ، كانت جدرانها ، بدلاً من أن تكون صلبة ، مصنوعة من أعمدة فقط. كان هناك المئات من حظائر السفن في بيرايوس في ذروتها وتم بناؤها على حجر الأساس من الحجر الجيري بانحدار 1:10 للسماح للسفن بالسحب (ربما يدويًا) في مؤخرة السفينة أولاً. كما تم إجراء أعمال صيانة خفيفة في الحظائر مثل طلاء الهيكل بطلاء مضاد للقاذورات ، حيث بقيت آثاره في الموقع.

بدأت تحصينات الجدار الطويل التي ربطت بيرايوس بأثينا في عام ج. 465 قبل الميلاد واكتمل في 446 قبل الميلاد.

الجدران الطويلة

تم تحصين بيرايوس من ج. 493 قبل الميلاد والذي وفقًا لثيوسيديدس كان مشروعًا بتحريض من Themistocles ولم ينته حتى 480 قبل الميلاد. بدأت تحصينات الجدار الطويل التي ربطت بيرايوس بأثينا في عام ج. 465 قبل الميلاد واكتمل في 446 قبل الميلاد. يبلغ طول السور الشمالي الطويل حوالي 6 كيلومترات ويمتد من جنوب غرب أثينا إلى الشمال الشرقي من بيرايوس. ركض الجدار الثاني إلى فاليرون ، وبالتالي منع وصول الأرض إلى الميناء. في عام 446 قبل الميلاد ، تمت إضافة جدار وسطي موازٍ للجدار الشمالي ، مما أدى إلى إنشاء ممر محمي ضيق بين المدينة والميناء ، والذي وفر أرضًا زراعية لا تقدر بثمن ومساحة معيشة في أوقات الحرب عندما تعرضت منطقة أتيكا الأوسع للهجوم ، حيث كان ، على سبيل المثال ، خلال الحرب البيلوبونيسية (431-404 قبل الميلاد).

تحصينات بيرايوس

كان بناة موانئ بيرايوس دائمًا في أذهانهم للدفاع حيث كان زيا يتراجع عن عمد بحيث تعرض مدخل الميناء للهجوم من الشواطئ المحيطة. ربما كان هناك أيضًا جدار تحصين لمنع أي هجوم بري. في عام 429 قبل الميلاد ، خلال الحرب البيلوبونيسية ، أدت غارة شنتها سبارتا المنافس منذ فترة طويلة إلى قيام الأثينيين بتحصين بيرايوس بشكل أفضل. تم تقليص مداخل الموانئ من خلال بناء الشامات المحصنة التي تصل إلى البحر على جانبي الميناء. علاوة على ذلك ، تمت إضافة أبراج ومنصات للرماة أيضًا إلى الشامات وتم استخدام السلاسل المتحركة لإغلاق المداخل تمامًا عند الحاجة. ومع ذلك ، فإن هذا لم يردع سبارتا عن مهاجمة بيرايوس مرة أخرى في 404 قبل الميلاد عندما دمر البيلوبونيز أجزاء من الجدران الطويلة.

بعد هزيمة أثينا في الحرب البيلوبونيسية عام 404 قبل الميلاد ، لم تستعد بيرايوس مجدها السابق. ومع ذلك ، في عام 375 قبل الميلاد ، كان الميناء لا يزال يستوعب 100 سفينة ثلاثية ، وفي منتصف القرن الرابع قبل الميلاد ، تم توسيع الميناء مرة أخرى بحيث يمكن أن تستوعب Zea 196 سفينة ، و Munichia 84 و Kantharos 94. خلال الاحتلال المقدوني من 322 إلى 229 قبل الميلاد ، Piraeus و أصبحت أثينا أقل أهمية كمركز تجاري متوسطي ، وجاءت النهاية أخيرًا في عام 86 م عندما أقال الجنرال الروماني سولا أثينا ودمر الميناء.

تاريخ الحب؟

اشترك في النشرة الإخبارية الأسبوعية المجانية عبر البريد الإلكتروني!

علم الآثار

لا تزال الموانئ الثلاثة مستخدمة حتى اليوم وتشمل البقايا الأثرية أسس العديد من حظائر السفن والتحصينات والمسرح الهلنستي. نظرًا لارتفاع مستوى سطح البحر مترين منذ العصور القديمة ، أصبحت العديد من منشآت بيرايوس القديمة الآن تحت الماء ولكن لا يزال يتم التنقيب عنها ، وفي أوائل القرن الحادي والعشرين ، توصل علماء الآثار إلى اكتشافات مهمة ، على سبيل المثال ، أن بعض حظائر السفن ربما كانت كذلك. كبيرة بما يكفي لإيواء اثنين من المجاري ينتهي في النهاية. تضمنت الاكتشافات البارزة في الموقع على مر السنين العديد من التماثيل البرونزية ، وربما كان أشهرها هو أبولو الآن في المتحف الأثري الوطني في أثينا.


سكك حديد بيريوس وأثينا وبيلوبونيز

تم الانتهاء من قسم الخط الأول بين بيرايوس وأثينا وإلفسيس في عام 1884. ووصل الخط إلى كورنث في عام 1885 وباتراس في عام 1887. في غضون ذلك ، وصل الفرع الشرقي من كورنث إلى أرغوس ونفليون في عام 1886. وصل الفرع الغربي إلى بيرغوس وأخيراً كيباريسيا في عام 1902. حصلت SPAP أيضًا على الخط الفاصل بين ميلوي (بالقرب من أرغوس) وكالاماتا عبر طرابلس ، من المفلسة. سكك حديد جنوب اليونان (Sidirodromoi Mesimbrinis Ellados). تم دمج الطريقين المؤديين إلى كالاماتا ، عبر باتراس وعبر طرابلس ، في Zevgolatio.

كان الخط الممتد من بيرايوس إلى كورنث يبلغ 99 كم ، من كورنث إلى كالاماتا عبر طرابلس 236 كم ومن كورينث إلى زيفغولاتيو عبر باتراس وبيرغوس 347 كم. بلغ الطول الإجمالي للنظام مع الخطوط الفرعية 731 كم.

في عام 1929 ، استحوذت SPAP على قسم Heraklion-Lavrion من سكة حديد Athens-Lavrion ، التي كانت تديرها سابقًا Attica Railways ، وأنشأت رابطًا من Kato Liossia (حاليًا Agioi Anargyroi) إلى Heraklion ، لربط خط Lavrion بشبكتها (1931). تم تعليق خدمات الركاب في هذا الفرع في عام 1957 وتم قطعه عن بقية الشبكة في عام 1962 ، بسبب إنشاء طريق أثينا - ثيسالونيكي السريع.

أثناء احتلال المحور لليونان في الحرب العالمية الثانية ، وخاصة أثناء انسحاب القوات الألمانية في عام 1944 ، تعرضت الشبكة والعربة الدارجة لأضرار جسيمة من قبل الجيش الألماني وجماعات المقاومة اليونانية. كان إصلاح أصول SPAP مستهلكًا للوقت ومكلفًا. تم إصلاح المعدات الدارجة التالفة بشكل أساسي في حظائر محرك بيرايوس. استؤنفت المستويات العادية للخدمة في حوالي عام 1948 باستثناء جسر Achladokampos المدمر (بين أرغوس وطرابلس) ، والذي أعاد OSE بناؤه في عام 1974.

في عام 1951 ، استوعبت SPAP سكة حديد Pyrgos-Katakolo الصغيرة. في عام 1953 ، استوعبت SPAP سكك حديد شمال غرب اليونان (SDBE) ، التي كانت تدير خط قياس متر من Kryoneri إلى Messolongi و Agrinion.

في عام 1920 ، تم تأميم SPAP لفترة وجيزة كجزء من Hellenic State Railways لكنها أصبحت شركة مستقلة مرة أخرى بعد ذلك بعامين. بسبب الديون المرتفعة ، أصبحت SPAP تحت سيطرة الحكومة في 1939-1940 وتم تأميمها رسميًا مرة أخرى في عام 1954. في عام 1962 تم استيعاب الشركة من قبل شركة السكك الحديدية اليونانية. [2]

أدت الأزمة الاقتصادية في اليونان إلى تعليق جميع خدمات الركاب والشحن على نظام السكك الحديدية متر في بيلوبونيز في عام 2011.

من غير المحتمل أن تستأنف الخدمات كنظام يتم تشغيله بشكل عام ، على الرغم من تشغيل بعض الخدمات المستأجرة بشكل خاص في بعض الأحيان. لا يزال قسم قصير عبر مدينة باتراس الساحلية مفتوحًا كخط سكة حديد في الضواحي.

إعادة فتح جزئي تحرير

كجزء من برنامج P.A.Th.E./P. المشروع ، تم إعادة بناء القسم السابق من المسار بين أثينا وكياتو إلى مقياس قياسي ومكهرب. خط سكة حديد مطار أثينا - باتراس ، الذي تم افتتاحه في عام 2007 حتى Kiato ، يخدمه قطارات الضواحي Proastiakos Athens. في عام 2019 ، سيتم تمديد هذا الخط إلى Aigio كجزء من Proastiakos [3] وفي النهاية باتراس ، مما يوفر خط سكة حديد قياسي مزدوج المسار بين باتراس وأثينا. كما تم التخطيط لتمديد من باتراس إلى كالاماتا عبر بيرغوس. [4]

تم الإعلان في يوليو 2020 عن إعادة فتح الأقسام من باتراس إلى بيرجوس وكورنث-كالاماتا وفرع نابفيون في عام 2021 مع بعض الأقسام ربما قبل ذلك.

تحرير القاطرات البخارية

بين عامي 1883 و 1962 ، استخدمت SPAP 128 قاطرة من 25 نوعًا مختلفًا.

وحدات متعددة الديزل تحرير

أدخلت شركة SPAP عربات قطارات تعمل بالديزل ووحدات متعددة في وقت مبكر من عام 1937. لقد قللت أوقات الرحلات وقدمت مرافق جيدة للركاب.


بيرايوس - التاريخ

نظرًا لوجود بيرايوس على الواجهة البحرية ، فإن المقاهي والمطاعم في المدينة تقدم بعضًا من أشهى وألذ المأكولات البحرية في العالم ..

هواة التاريخ متاحون للاستمتاع بالمتحف الأثري في بيرايوس ، الواقع في مبنى من مستويين في وسط الموقع ..

تأسس المتحف الهيليني البحري عام 1949 ، وهو يجب أن يزوره أي شخص مهتم بالتعرف على تاريخ البحرية اليونانية ..

لإلقاء نظرة على رأس بيرايوس الأمس إلى بقايا البوابات والأسوار الحجرية التي كانت تستخدم لحراسة المدينة في العصور القديمة ..

قد لا تبدو زيارة محطة القطار طريقة مثيرة للغاية لقضاء عطلتك ، ولكن الهندسة المعمارية لبيرايوس ..

يجب على أي شخص مهتم بالدين أو التاريخ أو كليهما تخصيص وقت في رحلتهم لاستكشاف العديد من الكنائس المنتشرة حول بيرايوس ..

إذا كنت في محطة القطار في زيارة ، فقد ترغب في التفكير في إضافة محطة في متحف السكك الحديدية الكهربائية في بيرايوس ..

تم افتتاح ملعب Peach and Friendship في عام 1985 ، ويُطلق عليه عادةً اسم SEF وهو حديث ويعمل بكامل طاقته ..


"أيام البحر 2021" للاحتفال بثقافة وتاريخ بيرايوس

أثينا - ستكون النسخة المتماثلة العملية لـ & # 39Olympias & # 39 ، ثلاثية الأثيني من القرن الخامس قبل الميلاد ، جزءًا من أبرز أحداث هذا العام & # 39 & quotDays of the Sea 2021 & quot؛ من 28 مايو إلى 6 يونيو ، تعرض المدينة الساحلية & # 39s الثقافة والرياضة والتاريخ.

سيعرض المسرح المفتوح المؤقت في Ormos Afroditis أفلامًا يونانية في 4 و 5 و 6 يونيو ، بينما ستشمل أنشطة الأطفال المقدمة الإبحار وكشافة الأولاد / البنات ، من بين أنشطة أخرى. كما سيتم عرض اللوحات والنحت ، كما سيتم توفير جولات أثرية ، إلى جانب العديد من الفعاليات الأخرى بما في ذلك الحفلات الموسيقية والعروض الضوئية.

ستستضيف ساحة ألكسندراس عرضًا للزهور وستخصص المنطقة قبل المتحف البحري لتعليم الأطفال الصغار ركوب الدراجات.

ستقدم Kanari Square معلومات حول إعادة التدوير من خلال مبادرات تفاعلية ، وسيساعد المتطوعون في تنظيف الشاطئ والبحر في Votsalakia و Freatida و Mikrolimano.

سيتم استضافة Blue Entrepreneurship in Europe ، وهي المرحلة الأخيرة من برنامج BlueAct ، خلال أيام البحر ، وسيشمل حضور الفائزين في مسابقات رواد الأعمال من موانئ المدينة السبعة في أوروبا.

بعد إغلاق جائحة فيروس كورونا ، قال العمدة يانيس موراليس ، "تحتفل بيرايوس ، وسنكون جميعًا هناك للاستمتاع وتكريم تاريخ مدينتنا وثقافتها ومواقعها الجميلة ، مع التركيز إلى الأبد على البحر.


تاريخ بيرايوس

كما هو معروف ، كانت بيرايوس جزيرة خلال سنوات ما قبل التاريخ. تم فصله عن باقي أتيكا بمنطقة بحرية بدأت من منطقة خليج فاليريان وبشكل أكثر تحديدًا من ماضي نيو فاليرو عبر مقاطعة كامينيا الحالية وجزء من بلدية سانت جون رينتي وانتهت في ميناء ألون ، أمام محطة سكة حديد أثينا-بيرايوس. في وقت لاحق ، تم تغطية هذه المنطقة بالرسوبيات ليتم تحويلها في البداية إلى شريط بحري ضحل ، ثم إلى "منطقة مستنقعات" (مستنقع) وأخيراً إلى "منطقة طينية" (مسطح طيني). ثم أصبح ما يعرفه الجميع باسم Alipedo الذي ربط بيرايوس ببقية أتيكا. يُنسب أصل اسم مكان بيرايوس إلى شكل الجزيرة هذا في العصور القديمة. ينسب معظم الناس أصلها إلى كلمة تعني "المراكب" ، من المراكب المجهول الذي من المحتمل أنه نقل مع قاربه مقر إقامة أتيكا إلى ساحل بيرايوس المقابل والعكس بالعكس. تطورت كلمة ferryman إلى اسم مكان وبعد تغيير حرف العلة انتهى بنا الأمر مع Piraeus في حالته الحالية. في التواصل اليومي ، ظل الشكل الأولي لاسم المكان موجودًا حتى الآن. يعتقد البعض الآخر أن اسم المكان يأتي من كلمة "ما وراء" منذ بيرايوس إما كجزيرة منفصلة عن بقية أتيكا أو بعد أن تم ربطهم بسبب مستنقع Alipedo في الوسط ، وكان "ما وراء الساحل" وبالتالي يشار إليه مثل "الجزيرة". كان يسكن بيرايوس حوالي منتصف الألفية الثالثة قبل الميلاد. يتم تعزيز هذا الرأي من خلال بقايا مستوطنات البروتوهلينيك التي تم الكشف عنها في كوكينيا القديمة وكيراتسيني والتي تم وضعها مؤقتًا بين 2600 و 1900 قبل الميلاد في ارتباط مع النتائج الأخرى لنفس العصر (أنقاض المباني والأدوات) في منطقة مونيشيا وستاليدا.

تم الإبلاغ عن أول سكان بيرايوس هم Pelasgi وغيرهم من سكان ما قبل التاريخ المألوفين في الفضاء الهيليني (Karres و Leleges و Cretes و Thaces و Foinicians) ولكن معظمهم من Minians كانوا الأكثر تقدمًا من بين كل ذلك مع العديد من المهارات والمعرفة التقنية ، متقدمين على ذلك بكثير. وقتهم. انبثقت الأخيرة ، التي يحتمل أن تكون من أصل أيوني ، من Orchomeno في فيوتيا واستقرت في بيرايوس في نهاية القرن الثالث عشر أو بداية القرن الثاني عشر قبل الميلاد ، بعد الغزو التراقي لأرضهم. نظرًا لكونهم بحارة ذوي خبرة ، فقد وجدوا في ميناء مونيشيا الصغير الطبيعي (المعروف حاليًا باسم Mikrolimano) قاعدة مناسبة لعملياتهم بينما تم تطوير مستوطنتهم في التل الذي يحمل اسمهم (التل المعروف حاليًا في Profitis Ilias). وفقًا للتقاليد ، تم التنازل عن هذا التل من قبل ملك أثينا ، Mounichio ولهذا السبب أطلق عليه اسم Mounichia ، بينما ينسب الآخرون اسم المكان إلى زعيم أو بطل Minian. على قمة التل ، أو على ارتفاع صغير على الجانب الأيسر من ميناء مونيشيا الصغير حيث أقيمت صالة "الجمعية البحرية اليونانية" ، أسس المينيون معبد "مونيشيان أرتميس". ترك المينيون الذين كانوا خبراء في إنشاء ممرات تحت الأرض (الأنفاق) والمجاري وغيرها من الأعمال الفنية بصماتهم في منطقة بيرايوس. بصرف النظر عن تسوية تل Mounichia والمصنوعات اليدوية المنحوتة الموجودة داخل الكهوف والصخور التي كان الناس يطلقون عليها اسم "Theospita" ، يشهد عملين تقنيين هامين على مرور مينيان على الرغم من بيرايوس: الكهف المعروف باسم "كهف Aretousa" في تل Mounichia و "Siraggio" المعروف سابقًا باسم "كهف Paraskevas".

بصرف النظر عن مستوطنة المينيين في عصور ما قبل التاريخ في تل مونيشيا في سنوات ما قبل التاريخ وما بعد ذلك ، كان هناك "اتصال" أو "اتحاد" آخر للمجتمعات في بيرايوس ذات الطابع الديني بشكل أساسي التي تشترك في معبد مشترك: ما يسمى بـ "تيتراكومون" ( أربع مدن) العراق. كانت `` المدن '' الأربعة التي شكلت هذا `` الاتحاد '' الجماعي الغريب: بيرايوس ، فاليرو - أهم مدينة في ذلك الوقت كان الأثينيون يستخدمونها كمدينة ساحلية واسمها جاء من بطل محلي واحد وفقًا للتقاليد. كانت واحدة من Argonauts ، والمدينة التي تسمى حاليًا Keratsini و Xipeti والتي تقع بين Old Kokkinia و Korydallos على الأرجح في مكان Nikaia. كانت عبادة هرقل هي الرابط الذي يربط بين هذا الاتحاد الطائفي الغريب الذي استمر لقرون عديدة ، وتم العثور على المعبد المشترك لـ "Tetrakomon" ، بناءً على الآراء السائدة ، في المنطقة الحالية التي تسمى كامينيا.

على الرغم من حقيقة أن بيرايوس كانت مأهولة بالسكان بحلول منتصف الألفية الثالثة ، إلا أنها ظلت لعدة قرون مدينة صغيرة تافهة دون أي اهتمام خاص بالأثينيين حتى استغلالها (القرن الخامس قبل الميلاد). يتزامن تعيين بيرايوس الذي تم إعلانه بلدية في عام 517 قبل الميلاد بناءً على الإصلاح الإداري لكليستينيس ، مؤسس الديمقراطية الأثينية ، مع فترة حب الشباب لهذه الديمقراطية. هذا يرجع إلى الاهتمام والإدراك الإبداعي لشخصين سياسيين مهمين في ذلك الوقت: Themistocles و Pericles.

تم التعبير عن اهتمام Themistocles ببيرايوس بشكل أساسي بعد معركة ماراثونا في 492/493 قبل الميلاد عندما تم انتخابه كـ "زعيم مسمى". بدأت أعمال تحصين المدينة قبل معركة سالامينا البحرية (480 قبل الميلاد) لكنها اكتملت بين عامي 471 و 465 قبل الميلاد. في وقت لاحق (461-465 قبل الميلاد) تبع المزيد من الأعمال لتوسيع الأسوار الطويلة بحيث يمكن تحقيق ربط بيرايوس بأثينا. أخيرًا ، خلال السنوات 451-431 قبل الميلاد ، تم الانتهاء من المبنى والتكوين النهائي للمدينة مع مخطط حضري نموذجي - بالنسبة لوقته - صممه المهندس المعماري الشهير ومخطط المدينة ميليسيوس.

كان اختيار Themistocles الذي كان منشئ Piraeus القديم ناجحًا. بدمج مزاياها الطبيعية بسبب موانئها الثلاثة "المستقلة" (ميغا ، زيا ، مونيشيا) والأعمال التي حدثت ، سرعان ما تطورت بيرايوس ليس فقط في أكثر الموانئ الحربية أمانًا ولكن أيضًا في أكثر الموانئ التجارية كمالاً في البناء والتنظيم والاستغلال . تضمن هذا المنفذ:

تحصين ممتاز ، بقيت آثاره حتى الآن.
جميع التسهيلات اللازمة لخدمة حركة الميناء من أرصفة وأرصفة للسفن لرسوها ، وخمسة مخازن للبضائع المراد إيداعها ، وأسواق ، وأحواض لبناء السفن ، ومخازن لحفظ معدات السفن.
المباني العامة والمعابد والمسارح.
تخطيط شارع ممتاز.
بشكل عام ، مدينة تعج بالحياة ، كان يُطلق على بيرايوس إلى حد ما اسم الأرض التجارية لليونان. وفقًا لثيكيديس ، "إلى هذه الأرض نظرًا لحجم المدينة ، يأتي كل شيء من كل مكان". لا يزال ميناء استيراد ضخم في العصور القديمة بيرايوس يحافظ على هذه السمة عبر قرون لأنه في الوقت الحاضر هو أكبر ميناء استيراد في البلاد مع نسبة مشاركة من الواردات والصادرات: 7: 3.

امتد الميناء التجاري لمدينة بيرايوس القديمة ، "التجارة" المعروفة ، من منطقة مكتب الجمارك المركزي الحالي إلى حافة إيتونيا التي توجد بها الصومعة وحتى وقت قريب كانت مخازن المنطقة الحرة باستثناء الحوض. لميناء ألون الذي لم يستخدم في العصور القديمة لأنه كان ضحلًا. وجود جميع التسهيلات اللازمة والتنظيم النموذجي مع جميع الهيئات المسؤولة عن خدمة العملاء (مفوضو التجارة ، وموظفو الجمارك ، وجباة الضرائب ، ورجال الشرطة ، وحافظو الطعام ، وما إلى ذلك) ، ضمنت "التجارة" جميع التعهدات من أجل إجراء أعمال الميناء دون عوائق. وقد كفلت التدابير الصارمة أيضا سلاسة سير المعاملات التجارية في "السوق" الذي يشكل عدم الملاءمة مركز الحياة الاقتصادية للمدينة. تم العثور على "السوق" في منطقة "التجارة" بينما تم العثور على آخر مسؤول عن الاحتياجات اليومية للسكن ، ما يسمى "إيبوداميوس" في داخل المدينة بالقرب من ميناء زياس (باساليماني).

عدم كفاية بيرايوس كانت في الأساس ميناء استيراد مع حركة شحن وتسويق ضخمة ، خاصة من أكتوبر حتى أبريل عندما سهلت الظروف الجوية سفر السفن الشراعية. جاء أكبر مركز شحن من موانئ البحر المتوسط ​​والبحر الأسود ، وخاصة من سكيثيا حيث تم استيراد المحاصيل. اقتصرت تجارة التصدير على محال الشحن لبعض منتجات أتيكا (مثل الزيت والنبيذ والعسل) ومنتجات الفخار. ساهمت حركة الاستيراد الضخمة في الموانئ وتطبيق مبادئ الاقتصاد الحر في التبادل اليومي للمنتجات في نمو حركة تجارية كبيرة في المدينة أيضًا.

كان التجار في الغالب من الأجانب الذين استقروا بشكل دائم في بيرايوس - ما يسمى "Metiki" - الذين تم منحهم حقوقًا معينة لممارسة مهنتهم. لقد اضطروا إلى دفع ضريبة خاصة تسمى "Metikio". أدى وجود مثل هذا العدد الهائل من الأجانب ، الذين يحملون أفكارًا وآراءًا أكثر تقدمًا من السكان المحليين ، وحركة المرور الكثيفة للناس إلى التبادل الحر للأفكار الجديدة. إلى حد ما ، يمكن أن يفسر هذا سبب طور بيرايوس "روحًا حرة" وضميرًا ديمقراطيًا فقط حتى يتم اعتبارها مدينة الميناء ليس فقط في المجال الاجتماعي والاقتصادي ولكن أيضًا في العالم السياسي.

وبصرف النظر عن التجارة ، فقد تطورت الصناعة بشكل كبير. أولاً ، كان بناء السفن ، والمعادن ، والفخار ، والنسيج ثانيًا ، بعضًا من فروعها التمثيلية. علاوة على ذلك ، تم تشكيل سعر سوق الأوراق المالية لمختلف المنتجات في بيرايوس وتم تحديد نطاق أسعار السفن. تم تنظيم جميع القضايا المتعلقة بالمعاملات التجارية في المدينة بحيث كانت تعتبر إلى حد ما "لندن من العصور القديمة".

أدى الازدهار الاجتماعي والاقتصادي الذي عرفه بيرايوس خلال فترة حب الشباب إلى التطور المتزامن لحياته الفكرية والفنية. لم يقتصر الأمر على الأشخاص الذين يتمتعون بالروح والفن فحسب ، بل شارك أيضًا الأثرياء الأقوياء في ذلك الوقت بنشاط في جعل المدينة الساحلية قاعدة لنشاطهم التجاري. اجتمع أفلاطون ، سقراط ، ليسياس ، ميتون الفلكي ، زينوفون وبعد ذلك على ديموسثينيس المتحدث ، في منازل كيفالوس الصناعي ، باسيون المصرفي ، كالياس السياسي ، تيموثيوس العام وغيرهم الكثير وتحدثوا عن علمي وفني واجتماعي قضايا وقتهم. يمكن ملاحظة ذلك في اختيار الإعداد الذي قام به Xenothon و Plato في أعمالهم. في "بوليتيا" ، أشهر أعمال أفلاطون ، يتم وضع الحوار في بيرايوس. أخيرًا ، في مسرح Mounichia الشهير ، تم تدريس أعمال Sophocles Euripedes و Aristophanes و Menandros وجذب الجماهير من جميع أنحاء اليونان.

يبدو أن مسار بيرايوس القديم ومسار الديمقراطية الأثينية شائعان. بعد ذروتها ، خلال "القرن الذهبي" لبيريكليس ، كانت الحرب البيلوبونيسية (431-401 قبل الميلاد) أول ضرر حاسم للمدينة. من شأن إعادة تأسيس الديمقراطية (403 قبل الميلاد) أن تجمع المدينة لبعض الوقت بسبب جهود Thrasyvoulos. أخيرًا ، بدأ المسار نحو الانحلال المؤكد ببطء ولكن بثبات في العصر المقدوني ليتبعه الغزو الروماني وتدمير المدينة بواسطة Syllas في 85 قبل الميلاد. بعد الدمار ، تم تقييد المدينة بالقرب من الميناء. تمت كتابة الخاتمة الحزينة لتاريخ بيرايوس القديم خلال السنوات الأولى بعد المسيحية. بدأت فترة الاضمحلال الطويلة في عام 395 قبل الميلاد في وقت الغزو الأخير لجوثس واستمرت لنحو خمسة عشر قرنًا حتى إعادة تأسيس وطننا. لم تكن المدينة موجودة بالفعل خلال هذه الفترة الزمنية. لسنا في وضع يسمح لنا بمعرفة ما إذا كانت بعض "مواقد" الحياة قد تم إنشاؤها خلال هذه السنوات. تم استخدام الميناء من حين لآخر من قبل الأسطول البيزنطي أو من قبل السفن القرصنة الأخرى التي استفادت من بحر إيجه. ومع ذلك ، لا يمكن أن يكون هناك أي إشارة إلى أي حركة مرور في الميناء ، حتى وإن كانت محدودة.

فقد بيرايوس اسمه القديم منذ عام 1318 قبل الميلاد. أطلق عليه الفرنجة اسم "بورتو ليون" و "بورتو دراكو" ثم أطلق عليه التركي اسم "ميناء أصلان" (أي ميناء الأسد) نسبة إلى تمثال رخامي لأسد تم وضعه تقريبًا في نفس المكان حيث تم بناء قاعة المدينة القديمة (الساعة) لاحقًا. تم "اختطاف" هذا التمثال من قبل الأب. موروزيني خلال حملته المعروفة ضد أثينا عام 1688 وتم نقله إلى البندقية حيث لا يزال من الممكن العثور عليه. نحن لا نعرف لا نحاتها ولا وقت تصميمها أو وقت وضعها في بيرايوس ووفقًا لـ Ioannis Meletopoulos ، فإن حجمها الخارق وشكلها البشري وكتاباتها الغامضة جعلتها دائمًا واحدة من الألغاز التي لم يتم حلها في تاريخنا.

ومع ذلك ، نظرًا لأن هذا التمثال مرتبط ارتباطًا وثيقًا بفترة تاريخية طويلة للمدينة ، فإن سكان بيرايوس لم يتوقفوا أبدًا عن طلب عودته. تم اتخاذ خطوات متكررة من قبل البلدية وغيرها من المؤسسات الجماعية المحلية ولكن دون نتيجة. وقد احتلت القضية الآن مركز الصدارة بعد تشكيل لجنة تنسيقية لعودة تمثال الأسد. بعد أن جمعت اللجنة المبلغ اللازم من المال من خلال المنح والتمويل الذي طلب من النحات ج. تم وضع هذه النسخة المتماثلة مؤقتًا في بقعة حيوية من الميناء المركزي تحت رعاية وعلى نفقة منظمة ميناء بيريوس.

خلال فترة الاحتلال العثماني ، كانت العزلة والتخلي هي السمات المميزة لمنطقة بيرايوس. جميع زوار المدينة في ذلك الوقت يؤكدون هذه النقطة. تم استخدام المنفذ فقط لأدنى حد من المعاملات التجارية على فترات زمنية محدودة. كان دير القديس سبيريدون هو "الموقد" الوحيد للحياة في ذلك الوقت الذي تأسس - وفقًا للآراء الأحدث والمثيرة للجدل - تقريبًا في عام 1590. استوعب الدير عددًا قليلاً من الرهبان بينما كان في هذا المشهد "الغريب" من الخراب العام فرنسًا غريبًا. استقر أيضًا في منزل يقع على ساحل بيرايوس في منتصف القرن الثامن عشر. تم الانتهاء من الصورة الكاملة للانحلال من قبل شخصية هزلية مأساوية لضابط الجمارك التركي الذي ، وفقًا لشاتوبرياند ، انتظر عدة أشهر لرؤية سفينة تمر بجانبه ، وهو أظهر صبرًا أحمقًا.

ولادة دولة جديدة ، ولادة أمل لبيرايوس من جديد

في عام 1829 ، عندما سُمعت آخر أصداء من دوي عربات الثورة الوطنية التي دامت 8 سنوات ، أظهر كل شيء عبر الأنقاض والأرض المحروقة أنه لن يستغرق الأمر وقتًا طويلاً حتى تولد "الدولة اليونانية" من جديد. وباتباع نفس الخط ، فإن "المنطقة المسماة بيرايوس" خلال السنوات الثورية الماضية سترتفع من جديد ، وبالتخلص من جميع الأسماء الأجنبية الخاصة بها ستستعيد مجدها السابق. كما حدث بالفعل خلال فترة زمنية قصيرة نسبيًا تغطي العقود الستة الأخيرة من القرن التاسع عشر عندما حدثت معجزة إنشاء بيرايوس الأحدث.

خلال المسار التاريخي الأحدث لبيرايوس ، تميزت البداية الملحمية لاستجمام المدينة بشكل حاسم بتسلسلين زمنيين هما 1829 و 1835. في عام 1829 ، وصل أول - خمسة في العدد - سكان جدد إلى المدينة التي من بينها جياناكوس تسيليبيس الذي يحمل اسمه نجا عبر التاريخ حيث سمي أحد سواحل بيرايوس باسمه. في عام 1835 ، تم إنشاء أول بلدية لبيرايوس مع كيرياكو سيرفيوتي ، القادم من إدرا ، ليكون أول رئيس بلدية. في غضون ذلك ، بعد نقل العاصمة من ناوبليو إلى أثينا (1834) والمنظور الواضح للتطور المستقبلي لميناء بيرايوس ، تم التعبير عن اهتمام شديد بسكن بيرايوس والذي كان يتزايد باستمرار على مر السنين. هؤلاء الأشخاص الذين لديهم العديد من المهارات والقدرات (كما ثبت عمليًا لاحقًا) يشكلون "جوهر" سكان المدينة الجديدة. تدين Piraeus بالترفيه والتطور إلى واحد من أكبر وأهم المراكز التجارية والبحرية في البلاد لجهودهم. علاوة على ذلك ، كان بيرايوس محظوظًا بما يكفي لوجود سكان نشيطين ومبدعين لديهم مجموعة واسعة من الأحلام التي أحببت المدينة ووضعت أساسًا لازدهارها في المستقبل. كان رؤساء البلديات السابقون في بيرايوس الأحدث جديرًا بالاهتمام من كل جانب ، ودائمًا ما يشار إليهم بامتنان: كيرياكوس أ. سيرفيوتيس (عمدة 1835-1841) ، بيتروس س. -48) ، لوكاس دي راليس (1855-66) ، ديميتريوس أ.موتزوبولوس (1874-1883 ، 1895-1903) ، Aristeidis Skylitsis (1883-87) ، ثيودوروس جي ريتسيناس (1887-95). بفضل جهود السكان الأوائل ، ومساهمة رؤساء البلديات المبدعين وسلسلة من الأحداث التاريخية ، تطورت بيرايوس إلى أول ميناء في البلاد في نهاية القرن التاسع عشر ، مدعية هذا الموقف بشكل منهجي من Syros التي كانت بمثابة أهم مركز بحري في ذلك الوقت. من خلال هذه السلسلة من الأحداث ، نضع علامة على اتصال السكك الحديدية بين بيرايوس وأثينا في عام 1896 ومع مدن أخرى في اليونان في نهاية القرن ، كانت الجهود الكبيرة الأولى للنمو الصناعي للبلاد التي يجب أن توضع بين عامي 1860 و 1870 و فتح قناة كورينث في عام 1893 مما جعل موقع الميناء أكثر فائدة فيما يتعلق بالغرب بالإضافة إلى التحول المؤكد للشحن التجاري اليوناني من الخشب إلى البخار في بداية القرن الحالي.

اكتملت "معجزة" الترفيه بنهاية القرن التاسع عشر. في البداية ، تم تكوين المدينة وفقًا للخطة العمرانية الممتازة لوقتها والتي أعدتها Kleanthes-Schaubert-Klenze وفيما بعد وفقًا للتعديلات والإكمال اللازمة. تم تشييد العديد من المباني العامة والخاصة ذات الذوق الرفيع ، ولم يتبق منها سوى القليل حتى الآن. تم تطوير التجارة والصناعة ونما عدد سكان المدينة إلى 51.020 في عام 1896. بصرف النظر عن المباني العامة الأولى التي تم تشييدها مباشرة بعد تأسيس البلدية (مكتب التخليص الجمركي ، ودور الأوراق المالية الحكومية ، إلخ) ، فإن جميع المباني المدرسية اللازمة (Ralleio Parthenagogio و "Ioannidies Scholes" والعديد من المدارس الابتدائية) وقصر سوق الأوراق المالية المعروف باسم "The Clock" (الذي استوعب مبنى البلدية في عام 1885 والذي اعتبر هدمه عملًا من أعمال عدم الاحترام تجاه الذاكرة التاريخية لبيرايوس) والعديد من الكنائس الأخرى (القديس سبيريدون ، القديس نيكولاوس ، القديس كونستانتينوس - إيواجيليسترياس ، القديس هولي الثالوث ، إلخ) تم تشييدها بحلول نهاية القرن التاسع عشر. أخيرًا ، وبفضل تمويل المستفيدين العظماء ، تم إنشاء عدد من المؤسسات التي لا تزال تعمل في الوقت الحاضر (مستشفى تزانيو ، دار الأيتام زانيو ، دار الأيتام Xatzikiriakeio ، دار الإلدلري ، إلخ).

تم إنشاء أول أعمال الميناء اللازمة في الميناء والتي كانت تحت إدارة ومراقبة بلدية بيريوس لمدة 75 عامًا ، وتمكين الميناء من تلبية الطلبات المتزايدة لحركة المرور في الميناء في ذلك الوقت والتي تراوحت بين 2500 سفينة و 1.500.000 طن من البضائع في السنة. تم استبدال المصابيح التي أضاءت بيرايوس على التوالي بمصابيح البنزين والغاز (1878) والكهرباء في بداية القرن العشرين (1903-04). تبع الفقر والتراجع وانعدام الحياة الاقتصادية ظهور حب الشباب وازدهار المصانع الأولى (فاسيلياديس وجون ماك دوال وفارفور وريتسينا وفولاناكي وديلافيرو وميتاكسا وغيرها) والمنازل التجارية الكبيرة. كما ظهر نمو كبير في القطاعات الفكرية والفنية. بحلول بداية القرن العشرين ، الذي كان من المفترض أن يكون حقبة مزعجة من التغيرات الكونية ، كان بيرايوس قد فاز بالتأكيد في معركة الاستجمام والازدهار. وقد تطورت لتصبح أول ميناء وثاني مدينة في اليونان. The prospect of the city’s progress was meant to be even wider in the years to follow – as it actually happened through the astonishing development of Piraeus during the course of the 20th century until now.

During the first four centuries of the 20th century the city continued its constant growth in all sectors (i.e. commerce, industry, marine and all fields of economic life). On the same time, considerable achievements took place in the wider social field. This can be attributed to the homogeneity that the society of Piraeus maintained, particularly until 1922, and the intense projection of a local conscience that shaped the special ‘character’ of the city. The practical needs of the people were decisively met by the constant expansion of the electrical lighting, the electrification of the Piraeus-Athens railway (1904) and the ‘tram’ lines (1909), the flattening of central roads and squares and the resolution of the serious water problems of the city due to the construction of the dam of Marathon (1931). These works improved the quality of life of the residents of Piraeus. Simultaneously, after the foundation of the ‘Epitropeias Port’ (1991), the first big works in the port were constructed. Additionally, after the foundation of the Piraeus Port Organisation (1930) the issue of the city’s administration and organisation was definitely resolved on a solid and mainly rational basis. In the intermediary interval (1900-1930) the city was considerably developed and, after the shocking events of the period 1912-1922 (Balkan wars, World War I, Minor Asia Destruction), was magnified. Particularly after 1922, Piraeus knew its biggest demographic ‘explosion’ when, due to the arrival of refugees from Minor Asia and their settlement in regions around the city (the current municipalities of Nikaia, Keratsini, Drapetsona etc), the population doubled ranging to 251.695 in 1928 (1920: 133.428). Despite the serious problems that this settlement initially caused which thanks to the residents’ efforts were overcome, it contributed to the alteration of the populational composition of the city but on the same time it was useful and productively efficient. This is because the country’s economy was strengthened by a worthwhile living potential whose contribution was considered as totally positive not only for the local but also for the wider national network.

The nation’s war adventures (1940-44) had the corresponding repercussions in both the city and the port of Piraeus. Their impact, especially on the latter, was direct and inhibitory for its unhindered operation. War events such as the bombardment by German ‘stoukas’ and the explosion of Klan Frayzer (6-4-1941), the big bombardment of Piraeus by the ‘Allies’ (11-1-1944) and the explosion of the port facilities (12-10-1944) resulted in the almost complete destruction of the harbour causing damage which was estimated to range to 325.000.000 pre-war drachmas. The city damage was equally huge (the Church of Holy Trinity collapsed, 684 private and public buildings, 56 warehouses and factories, 3000 wooden-built houses were destroyed, 2.070 public and private buildings and 146 factories and warehouses were seriously damaged, 15.000 people were dead, 11.000 of which died of hunger during the winter of 1941-42).

During the first post war years, after the reconstruction of the damages in the port and the city, Piraeus started to recover especially in the beginning of the 1950s. The necessary conditions were created for the infrastructure in facilities and means to meet the needs of a constantly increasing traffic in marine transactions through a series of works in the port that gained wider space after the revolutionary changes taking place after the invasion of containers in the field of marine transactions. On the same time, in the middle of the 1950s an attempt to rebuild the city began which was magnified during the next decade when multi-stored buildings were erected with the ‘concrete’ becoming more and more imposing. While it was a necessary process to accommodate the growing number of residents it radically changed the aesthetics of the city. Only few of the buildings of the neoclassic buildings have been rescued and are currently used so that part of this cultural heritage to remain intact. However, despite the alterations it has suffered through certain architectural extremities and despite its adjacency with Athens which quite often has a negative effect on many sectors of local life, Piraeus has managed to maintain – to a large extent – its ‘physiognomy’ which is actually consolating. If this fact is reinforced by the necessary ‘interventions’ of the local authorities for the creation of more ‘spots’ of green and culture, Piraeus is going to be a pole of attraction for a greater number of both local and foreign people. The city of such a great history and fascinating ‘adventures’ through centuries, the city of such unique aesthetics and natural surroundings that constitute the uniqueness of its ‘lyric landscape’.


HOW TO GET THERE

BY ATHENS METRO: 1 (Green Line), Station "Piraeus"

BY BUS: 218, 232, 300, 703, 420, 800, 814, 824, 825, 826, 832, 833, 843, 859, 871, 872, 875, 904, 906, 909, 915, E90, X96

RELATED CONTENT

Discover the beautiful beach locations around Athens

A brief history of the city from ancient times to the present

The main square of Municipality of Piraeus

Possible one of the most famous coasts in all of Greece

Area of Piraeus full of fun and activity

Poseidon’s fruits of the sea on your table in a matter of minutes


The Port of Piraeus Through The Ages

The course of ancient Piraeus followed that of the Athenian Democracy and, in parallel, experienced the latter's "Golden Century". It was to also suffer the Democracy's first set- back during the Peloponnese war (431-404 B.C.) It was to recover somewhat. following the re-establishment of the Democracy (403 B.C.) which would begin from here - the hill of Mounichia - by the efforts of Thrasybulus. I would finally follow the Democracy's course to its decline, slowly but surely, from the Macedonian era, and receive its mortal blow from the Roman invaders and its destruction, at the hands of Sylla in 85 B.C.

Following the city's destruction, a few inhabitants remained in the vicinity of the harbour. Then, in the first years of the Christian era, the sad epilogue to the history of ancient Piraeus was written.

From 395 B.C., with a final invasion by the Goths, began the long period of Piraeus' decline, which was to last for about 15 centuries with the time of our national renaissance. During that period, the city ceased to exist. If a few small "pockets" of habitation were, by chance, established, we do not know. Of any harbour acitivity, however limited, there is no mention. The harbour, or port, of Piraeus was, of course, used on occasion as a base for the Byzantine fleet or by pirates who then, as later, roamed the Aegean.

However, from 1318 A.D, the port lost its ancient name. It became "Porto Leone", the "Porto Draco" of the Franks, and, from 1456, the "Asian Port" of the Turks (the Lion's Port), getting its name from the marble lion standing at the point where, later, the old Town Hall (ROLOI - the Clock) was built. The marble lion was removed and stolen in 1688, during Fr. Morozini's well-known expedition against Athens, and carried to the naval base of Venice where it still exists."

Throughout the whole period of Turkish occupation, the Piraeus region remained desert- ed. Visitors to the Piraeus region throughout the period are all agreed on this point. The harbour was used at infrequent intervals for trifling commercial trading. The only "pocket" of habitation throughout the period was the Monastery of St. Spyridon which, according to more recent and better informed opinions, was established in 1590, and the only named presence in 18th century Piraeus was the French merchant,Cayrac, a person who earned the trust and respect of both Greeks and foreigners."

The numerous owners of land in Piraeus, who are referred to in I. Meletopoulos' "Piraika" and urged both him and others to occupy themselves with the local history and to support the view that Piraeus, during the latter years of Turkish occupation, was not deserted, most of them Athenians - and Othomans, - did not in fact live in Piraeus. They were simply the owners of land and had no personal ties with the area.

They did, however, react decisively in two attempts to revitalize Piraeus: in 1792, by the installation of the Hydraians, and, in 1825 - when the revolutionary struggle had already begun by the installation of the Psarians, both attempts resulting in abandonment.6

It was not until 1829 that the area began once again to show signs of permanent inhabitance. When the last shots of the 8 year struggle for national independence were heard and from the ruins and ashes the Greek State finally emerged, the first of its new "settlers" arrived at Piraeus - 5 in number - amongst them the most well-known being Yiannakos Tzelepis, in memory of whom the Tzelepis Promenade was named. The other four were two of Tzelepis' brothers, Spyridon Diplaris, from Athens, and loannis Katelouzos.7

From 1830 to 1834, the number of "settlers", the first residents, gradually grew. In 1834, Cleanthes and Schaubert drew up the excellent - for that time - town plan of Piraeus which was approved, with a minimum of amendment, by the Architect Klenze and the Regent. In 1835, following an application by the most prosperous of the new inhabitants, the Municipal- ity was established. On 14 December the first Municipal elections were held and, on 23 December, in the partly ruined church of the Monastery of St. Spyridon, the first municipal council was sworn in and undertook its duties under the Mayor, Hydraian Kyriakos Serfiotis and Deputy Mayor, the Chian, Constantinos Skylitsis.8

I SHALL NOT refer in great detail to all the phases of our city's historical course from the first establishment of the Municipality (1835) to the end of the 19th century, those years which made up what I once called the "New Piraeus Epic".g

I shall simply underline certain characteristic events which will allow us, I believe, to correctly judge the magnitude and extent of whatever has been achieved during that epic period of the new Piraeus' development.

First and foremost, when, from the ruins and ashes of the Revolution, inherited by the liberated Greek people, came forth the new Greek State, Piraeus was, as we have said, an insignificant harbour with a few fishermen's huts, a few farm-buildings on its surrounding land - towards Keratsini the "Dogana" (customs-house) and the Monastery of St. Spyridon, in ruins. In other words, it was almost deserted and showed nothing of its ancient greatness. It also gave no indication of the "miracle" which was to follow.

Five or six years later, when the Municipality of Piraeus was established, the situation had changed somewhat. The "village" had begun to take shape, with about 300 inhabitants from all parts of Greece, thus creating, by virtue of their varied origins, a lively nucleus of the new state, in which there existed, in harmony, all virtues, the charisma, of the Greek, those virtues which compose the so-called "Creative Talents" of our race and render us, despite our undoubted faults, capable of performing vital and decisive miracles of benefit to both our own city and the nation as a whole.

In the Piraeus of the 19th century, particularly during the first years following the estab- lishment of the Municipality, that creative talent of the Greek race did indeed perform miracles. It gave us, as a result, the surprising evolution of the area that uninterrupted course towards progressive development - I would say, a frenetic rythm - which changed the muddy "village" of 1835 with its 300 settlers and its "huts", into the leading port and the second city of Greece.

Naturally, all that did not come about by chance. Certain pre-requisites existed and these greatly assisted their realisation. There were also certain "factors" which played a corre- sponding role. First of all, the favourable geographic location of the area, then its nearness to Athens which, in 1834, became the state's capital - a decisive incentive attracting more. and more new settlers to the area from all parts of the country. Moreover, the correct assessment and forecast by many who appreciated the region's future prospects, were soon to be well justified. Indeed, by the end of the 19th century, certain events had contributed decisively to the evolution of Piraeus and its ultimate declaration as the country's leading port - a position which, for 50 years-, was claimed by Syros, the region's most important maritime centre of the period. Indicatively, I note the rail-road connection with Athens in 1869 and, later, towards the end of the century, with other Greek cities, the first noteworthy attempts at an industrial development in the area which must be dated around 1860 to 1870, the widening of the Corinth Canal in 1893, which made Piraeus' location even more favour- able for traffic to and from the west, in parallel with the decisive turn of the Greek maritime circles to the use of steam, and so on.

But all these pre-requisites, all these "happy events", would not have been sufficient without the "human factor" - in other words, all those creative and active people who were capable of realising those favourable pre-requisites and exploiting the opportunities in time, and passionately working for the good of our port and city, a city which was not even their original home, but which they had apparently grown to love far more. They believed in its future and fought and worked hard to build it on strong foundations.

To all those "first Citizens of Piraeus", each of whom, in his own particular profession or trade, performed miracles, modern Piraeus owes its remarkable evolution - naturally, first and foremost, to those who guided it towards its destiny during the first years, to those creative mayors of the 19th century, the names of most of whom are directly bound to the more important efforts leading to the success of Piraeus.

THOSE efforts continued with the same intensive rhythm throughout the 19th century and bore fruit at the end of that last 100 years. With the superhuman efforts of all those who had bound their lives, their destinies, to that of the city but also - and mainly - with the care taken by those enlightened municipal leaders, Piraeus was able to steadily move forward on its progressive way. The first mayors were undoubtedy creative. The title was justifiably theirs, because their work remained to give decisive weight to the evolution of the region, and the people of Piraeus should remember their names with gratitude:

  • Kyriakos Serfiotis (Mayor from 1835-1841)
  • Petros Skylitsis-Homiridis (1841-45 and 1848-54) - From 1854 to 1855, the Deputy-Mayor, Set. Retsinopoulos ulsided
  • Antonios Theoharis (1845-48)
  • Loukas Rallis (1855-66)
  • Demetrios Moutzopoulos (1866-74)
  • Tryfon Moutzopoulos (1874-83 and 1895-1903)
  • Aristides Skylitsis (1883-87), and
  • Theadoros Retsinas (1887-95)

In parallel, we should not forget the contribution of all those other people of Piraeus, such as those who had the responsibility of managing the port those factors of the economic and cultural life of the area, and - mainly - the enormous host of workers who laboured under difficult conditions, giving of their honest toil and sweat, unseen, unheralded diggers setting the foundations for the ultimate sucess of Piraeus.10

WITH TH. RETSINAS, the cycle of creative mayors of the new Piraeus closes. It is sufficient to consider what happened throughout those seven decades, from the Municipali- ty's establishment to the end of the 19th century, to realise just what their contributions amounted to.

Everything, as I emphasised at the beginning. was started from scratch. First of all, the city changed its appearance with the help of Cleanthe's and Schaubert's town-plan. This excellent plan was not, of course, adhered to in its entirety. If that had happened, Piraeus would not have been according to I. Meletopoulos' very accurate observation -'just a beau- tiful city', as it is, but would have been an example to all others."

However, the amendments and deviations that were made, did not greatly change the city - thus it became adorned with spacious central roads and squares.

By the end of the century, all the necessary educational institutions had also been built (the High School, the Rallion Girls' College, the Lyceum - which began operating in 1862 - the elementary schools), many large churches, the Stock Exchange Building and, later, the Town Hall - the well known ROLOI or Clock-Tower (1869-73), the MunicipalTheatre (1884- 95) and the old Post Office Building (1899-1901). Also, the city had gained its Central Market (1861-63), and with the help of donations from the region's benefactors, its Commu- nal institutions which continue to operate today (the "Tzannion" Hospital, the "Zannion" Orphanage for boys, the Old People's Home, the "Hadjikyriakon" Orphanage for girls).

Through the services of the Mole Fund (1836-48) the Piraeus Quay-ways Committee (1848-61), and especially the Administration Committee (1861-1911), the port was essen- tially under the jursidiction of the Municiaplity,'2 and a number of essential works had been, and were being, executed (dredging operations, construction of the Royal Landing, the Troumba Pier and the quay-ways up to the Customs House area, the commencement of construction work on the Outer Moles and the permanent dry-docks), not of such grandeur or importance as the later, more extensive harbour-works, but undoubtedly giving the port the ability to meet its traffic of that time which reached about 2,500 vessels with a total 1,500,000 tonnes of cargo per year.

The oil-lamps which had lit Plraeus through its first steps were gradually replaced by petrol-lamps, then gas-lighting (1878) and finally, at the beginning of the 20th century, (1903- 1904), by electric lighting. (In 1904 the steam-powered train "Athens-Piraeus" turned). The poverty and decay, the inexistence of economic activity, were followed by the "boom" and the establishment of the first factories in the area (the L. Rallis Silk Mills, ship-yards and engineering workshops of Vasiliades, John McDowel and Varvour, Perrakis, Kouppas' silver foundry, the Retsinas, Volanakis and Lyginos Textile Mills, the Dilaveris Tile Works, the Metaxas, Pouris and Barbaressos Distilleries, the Dimokas, Seferlis, Loumos and Panagi- otopoulos flour mills, etc.) and the larger Merchant Trading firms.

On the Arts and Culture scene there was also lively activity and, as was only natural, the population increased considerably -the "hamlet" of 22 people in 1827 and 50 in 1830, the "village" of 300 people in 1834 and 1011 in 1836, had at last been transformed into a "town". The increase in population throughout the last 30 years of the 19th century contin- ued steadily until, in 1896, it had reached 51,020.'3

At the dawn of the 20th century, which was to prove both stormy and creative, radically changing the ultimate course of its history, Piraeus had already and decisively won its battle for renaissance and success. It had become the leading port and the second city in Greece. Its future prospects had also greatly widened, and then followed its surprising evolution throughout the 20th century to the ulsent day. Piraeus' rise, which turned it into the metropolis it now is, owes much to its well founded beginning and its achievements of the 19th century, which were mainly due, in turn, to the creative spirit of its first settlers and - to put it briefly and draw the necessary conclusion - to its "First Generation" of inhabitants who carried on, and completed, the work of their founder-fathers.14

THE GREEK shipowners' decisive and well-timed turn to steam-power which marked the beginning of a new era, coincided approximately with the beginning of the period of ascent for the Port of Piraeus - about the beginning of the ulsent century. But, at this point, it must be admitted that, despite the care and effort of the municipal leaders, by 1900 the remark- able harbour works that had been carried out, such as those ulviously mentioned, were, in fact, very few. The most important of these were the two permanent dry-docks at Kremmy- darou Bay, commenced in 1898 and completed in 1912.The plans for this project had been drawn up by Elias Angelopoulos and the work was undertaken by the firms L. Petitmermer and G. Raspini, at a total cost of approximately 5,500,000 Drachmas.'s

Apart from the few works executed, the whole system of management became bogged down. Then, by the end of the first decade of the 20th century, it had been acknowledged, by practical experience, that there was need for a change (Statutory Law G.F.A./1909 "On the Formation of the Piraeus Port Committee"). The first government headed by Eleftherios Venizelos, by its Royal Decree of 20/1/1911, put that Law into force and thus the Port Committee began operating as an autonomous Legal Entity, undertaking the management of the Port Fund and the studies for the construction, maintenance and exploitation of harbour works and installations.

The Port Committee was made up of reulsentatives of the competent State services, within the cycle of port operations, and associate members of the productive classes dealing with and using the port. Upon establishment of the Port Committee, the port ceased to depend on the municipal authorities and thus gained its essentially managerial autonomy. However, following its establishment the PC. did not decisively deal with the exploitation of loading/discharge operations and other port works - a fact, indeed, which dictated the formation of the PPA., a few years later. In any case, it should be noted that the PC. did execute the construction of the first important (relative to our national renaissance) harbour- works at Piraeus, by which mainly the N.W. sector of the Central Harbour was formed. These works were instigated by the inspiration and initiative of Demetrios Kallimassiotis (1859- 1929), who was frequently appointed chairman of the PC. (1911-14. 1921-24, 1926-29). These works (2756 metres of quayways, the barge-dock, the harbour-wall at Keratsini, 5 storage sheds, some excavations, dredging,etc.) were executed between 1924 and 1931, at a total cost of 495 million Drachmas."

With the establishment of the Port of Piraeus Authority in 1930, the second decisive step was taken in the attempt to find a final solution to the problem of efficient management and exploitation of the port.

This step was dictated by the daily practicality itself which left no margin for delays. The Port of Piraeus at that time, despite the steady increase in traffic and the fact that the first extensive harbour-works were almost completed, was encountering serious prob- lems. The loading/discharge of cargoes was being carried out with the aid of primitive barges. Storage facilities were non-existent and, with the exploitation in the hands of third parties, disorder and insecurity were the order of the day at the country's leading port while, at the same time, the cost of port services was steadily rising. Three benefactors of the region's public life, Michael Rinopoulos, lawyer and later Mayor of Piraeus, Nicolaos Solo- nakis, Director of Piraeus Customs, and Georgios Sakalis, a Member of Parliament, brought to the attention of the then all-powerful prime-minister, Eleftherios Venizelos, these weak points and, with the support of the productive classes organisations, underlined the need to concentrate all responsibilities relative to organisation, management and exploitation under one body. These proposals were quickly acted upon and, by means of Law No 4748 of 15/ 5/1930, ratified by publication as the Royal Decree of 14/7/1930, the Port of Piraeus Authority was established, as a public entity, to take the place of the Port Committee relative to all its rights and obligations, but with far wider jurisdiction.

Especially, the PPA. was charged (apart from all the ulvious PC's responsibilities) with the execution of loading/discharge operations, using its own means and labour force, the programming and supervision of the manner of execution of all port operations, by means of the issue of specific Regulations, the take-over of the Free Zone management and, finally, the PPA. was armed with the right to charge vessels, cargoes and passengers for the relative services and facilities offered.

The first chairman of the F

A. was Michael Rinopoulos (1879-1959) and the first General Manager was Theodoros Grigorakis, Adm. ret'd, of the Harbour-Master's Authority, both serving in their respective positions until 1933.'7

The establishment of the PPA., contributed decisively to the upward course of the Port of Pireaus and if, later, certain people observed some weaknesses in the organisation and exploitation systems as provided for by the establishment law, no-one could doubt the fact that the concentration of responsibilities covering management, and exploitation under one administrative body, thus ridding the port of its ulviously multi-headed form, was the begin- ning of the real progress and evolution that followed.

  • Loading/discharge operations carried out by its own means and labour force (November 1931).
  • The establishment of the Piraeus Free Zone (Feb. 1932) which had initially operated as an autonomous public utility, under the first chairman Nicolaos Solonakis who again came later (1933) under the P.P.A. administration.
  • The installation and operation of the first two bridge-cranes (1932)
  • Construction of the Silos (1937)
  • The execution of other port-works and building construction projects (including a 5-storey warehouse) and additions to technical equipment.

At the end of the 30's the port had been modernised relative to installations and technical equipment, to the point where it was quite capable of meeting the demands of its traffic at that time. Moreover, during the period from 1900 to 1940, the city of Piraeus went through a remarkable evolution and, following the dramatic events of the period from 1912 to 1922 (the Balkan Wars, World War 1 and the Asia Minor Catastrophe) with which the life of the city had been so closely involved, it had grown into a giant.

Especially, after 1922, Piraeus experienced its greatest population explosion, with its population almost doubling to reach 251,659 in 1928 (133,482 in 1920) following the arrival of refugees and their rehabilitation in communities around the old city - today's municipalities of Nikaia, Keratsini, Drapetsona, etc. - The rehabilitation of these refugees naturally created acute problems (initially that of feeding, then housing, work, etc.) and marked the beginning of the gradual change in the make-up of the region's populace, but finally proving to be useful and productive because it strengthened the country's economy by the infusion of a remark- ably volatile and valuable work-force whose contribution was apulciated as a positive factor not only of benefit to Piraeus but to the country as a whole.

THE NATION'S war-time adventures(l940-l 944) left their corresponding marks on both the city and the port. Especially, the latter suffered unparalleled set-backs to its, till then, steady progress. Wartime events such as the bombing, by German Stukas, resulting in the blowing up of the SS "Clan Fraser" (6/4/41), the heavy bombing of Piraeus by "allied" aircraft (11/1/44) and the blowing up of port installations by the Germans during their withdrawal (12/10/44), resulted in the almost total destruction of the port with damage which, according to relative estimates of that time, amounted to about 325 million Drachmas at their ul-war value. 18

This fact obliged the PPA. management to devote the first 5 years following liberation to the repair and replacement of war damage (repairs to the silos, dry-docks, warehouses, sheds, quayways, and replacement of mechanical means and equipment, etc.) for the port to recover, by the early 50's, its ul-1940 form.

Simultaneously, in 1950, in an effort to re-articulate the PPA:s administration, the Emer- gency Law 1559/1950 was published and later ratified by Law 1630/1951, thus amending the Law of Establishment and re-arranging, on a new basis, the relative matters of organisa- tion and operation of the PPA. and its Services. This law, later supplemented by various statutes and decrees, remains in force today and forms the basic frame-work of the PPA. regime.

Important projects aimed at developing and modernising the port began only after 1955 with the stage by stage application of plans drawn up by Demosthenes Pippas, Professor of Port and Harbour Engineering at the National Metsovian Polytechnic. Naturally, such works continue today. A number of alterations to, and deviations from, the initial plans were made up to 1982, these being dictated by technological evolution and new conditions arising from the development of new methods of sea-transportation and the revolutionary changes in cargo-handling techniques following the advent of containers. From the year 1982 onwards, the initial"plan" was abandoned and the Port's Administration reviewed its port-related policy in the period expanding from 1981 to 1988. The implementation of such a policy resulted in the ulparation of two 5-year development programmes - those of 1982 and 1987 - which originate from a new concept and cope with the issue of both extending and modernising the port in conjunction with the way of life and the problems of the "surrounding area" in other words, of the city and - in a wider sense - of the area of "Greater" Piraeus.

Indicatively, I note only the following works or projects executed since 1955: The re-articulation of the S.E. sector of the Central Port, with the constructon of 4593 metres of quay-ways, the formation of Hercules Port at Keratsini Bay, and the construction of a series of new storage facilities, sheds and passenger-stations -including the main such station at St. Nicholas - the extension of the Silos, thus doubling their capacity, the construe- tion of the harbours of Zea-Freattis and Phaleron Delta, the Drapetsona Harbour-wall and the petroleum products pier, the creation of the Perama Repair-base and the installation there of two floating docks, the re-formation of the Vasiliades Coast sector to form a modern Container Terminal, and the commencement of construction work on the large new Contain- er Terminal at the Neon Ikonion Sector, the recent layout of the passenger harbour with environmental beautification work, the transformation of the St. Nicholas Passenger Station as a prototype exhibition centre, the construction of the split-level road junction at the Xaverios Sector, etc., as well as the supplementation of technical equipment with three new bridge-cranes and a number of container stacking vehicles, cranes, fork-lift vehicles, floating means, etc. The beginning of the development of the new, modern Container Terminal, at Ikonion, which was - quite correctly -given the name of Eleftherios Venizelos - to pay homage to the famous politician in later Creek history who also founded the Port of Piraeus Authority - this being beyond any question the most important work in the recent historical course of the port. This work will be completed in the year 1991, while a part thereof has been operational since 1989.

Important projects, I repeat, have been and are being executed. Measures designed to improve and update administrative and managerial systems continue to be applied with the object of improving the overall organisation of the port and its services. This is natural and necessary. The port and the PPA. which administers it are living organs, continually evolving. The Administration and Organisation's work force must continually approach the overall situation with sensitivity, make timely assessment of problems as they arise during the daily practical application, and act promptly by taking the necessary steps for their immediate and decisive solution, in order to ensure continual and efficient operation and, generally, the achievement of the port's great and vital mission.

Fortunately, from the objective point of view, most of the P.P.A's Administrations have not failed to take great care and to show great interest in the port's progress.

Their contributions to the general effort, without reference to names, have been, and are, considerable. Moreover, apart from the various Adminisration's contributions, it would be unjust to disregard the interest shown by the various productive classes which use the port, or the contributions made by the Organisation's clerical and technical staffs and labour forces towards its progress and evolution. It would not be an exaggeration to claim that today's port is mainly the successful outcome of the toil and sweat of them all.

IN THEIR POST-WAR course, from 1945 to today, the development of the city and port have been parallel. Just as I have underlined on a number of occasions, they have shared, and still do, a common destiny, from ancient times to the ulsent. Today, Piraeus has developed into a Metropolis, without substantial fluctuations in popu- lation over recent years, and, despite its proximity to Athens and the aesthetic changes it has undergone through certain extremes of architectural irresponsibility, the city maintains, to a certain degree, its own individuality.

Naturally, the city still suffers serious problems, particularly those of traffic circulation and environment - those unfortunate problems encountered by all the larger Greek towns and cities of the post-war period. In parallel, the port, with efficient organisation, convenient lay- out and a steady rhythm of modernisation continues its upward progress, firmly bound to its environs, which look back on about 4600 years of history and, just as in its prime in ancient times, continues to be the most vital factor in the economic and cultural development, not only of the city - or even the Greater Piraeus region - but also of the whole ulfecture of Attica.


Piraeus

ال Piraeus (Πειραιάς, official transliteration Pireas) is the ancient port of Athens, and still functions as the chief exit point from the city by sea, for destinations among the Aegean Islands and elsewhere in the east Mediterranean. Domestic destinations include all of the Aegean islands except the Sporades and some smaller Cyclades and Dodecanese isles that require a connection. International destinations (apart from cruise ships) include Cyprus and the Middle East.

Piraeus occupies a huge territory. Check your gate number in advance, so you know where to go. It may take 15 minutes of driving or 30 minutes of walking to reach one end of the port from the other.

Since privatisation of the Port of Piraeus Authority, passenger facilities have improved greatly. Air conditioned tents have been set up at departure locations around the port, and free wi-fi internet access is now available.

Ship arrivals and departures are posted outside the Coast Guard Building at Karaiskaki Square, the main bus terminal of Piraeus.

The area can become hectic, especially during the summer period, so allow plenty of time to navigate to the correct departure point.

تحرير التاريخ

Piraeus was founded in the early 5th century BC, assuming great importance as the new port of classical Athens. Built as a prototype harbour, with three deep water harbours, the main port of Cantharus and the two smaller of Zea and Munichia, it concentrated all the import and transit trade of Athens, and gradually replaced the older and shallow Phaleron harbour, which gradually fell into disuse. During the Golden Age of Athens (480-343 BC), Piraeus was rebuilt to the famous grid plan of architect Hippodamus of Miletus, known as the Hippodamian plan, and its main agora was named after him in honour. As a result, Piraeus flourished and became a port of high security and great commercial activity, and the Long Walls were constructed to fortify the route from the main city to its port, which created a formidable naval fortress. This aroused Sparta's suspicions and, in the words of Thucydides, "made war inevitable". After this war (431-404 BC), the harbour declined gradually, growing once more in the 19th century, after Athens' declaration as the capital of Greece.

Most travellers arriving in Piraeus from central Athens make use of the very convenient Metro. Line 1 terminates at the Port, from there it's a short walk to the Saronic Gulf ferries, hydrofoils and catamarans, or a free shuttle-bus ride to the ships sailing to Crete and the Dodecanses. Central Cyclades ferries conveniently sail from just across the metro station. Metro ticket costs €1.20 and allows unlimited connections on all modes of transport within 90 minutes.

مباشر Airport Express buses run 24 hours between the port of Piraeus and Athens International Airport. Allow 90 minutes for the trip. The Airport is also accessible via the Metro, with a connection at Monastiraki. Bus tickets to the airport, available from the driver, cost €5.50 Metro tickets to the airport are €9.00.

Other public buses connect Piraeus with other suburbs, the southern coastal zone and central Athens. Bus and trolley-bus tickets cost €1.20 and are valid for unlimited connections (including metro) within 90 minutes. They must be bought in advance (generally from kiosks or inside metro stations).

During the "season", a goodly number of cruise ships stop here. Modest sized ships dock within easy walk of the passenger terminal (approximately a mile south of the Metro station). Large ships dock about 2–300 meters farther away, closer to the busy entrance to this harbor. From the terminal, you could take a taxi, or you might find a city bus going toward the Metro terminal (ask in the terminal) otherwise, you face a walk with entrances to ferry and freight docks on the shore side, and various commercial and civic buildings on the other side of the very busy street. Those walkers who stay on the harbor side can use a pedestrian bridge over the street within sight of the Metro station.

The centre of Piraeus and the Port can be negoatiated easily on foot if you are not carrying luggage. Trolleybuses (no 20) are useful for the run from the Port to Passalimani and then follow the very scenic route around the hill of Castella, terminating at the Line 1 Metro station of Faliro, near the Peace & Friendship and Karaiskaki Stadiums.

Free shuttle buses inside the Port run from across the Metro Line 1 Terminal Station, around the north side of the port to the ships sailing for Crete, the Eastern Aegean and the Dodecanese.


5 إجابات 5

I am not in a position to answer your question about scholarly consensus regarding the two symbolic meanings of the choice of the Piraeus. There is, however, a discussion of the framing story of the Republic that I encountered recently and found fascinating. That discussion addresses what was said to be going on in the Piraeus just before the dialogue, rather than the port location as a location with characteristics and a history.

The discussion is in the concluding chapter of Religion in Human Evolution: From the Paleolithic to the Axial Age (Cambridge, Massachusetts and London, England: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2011), by Robert N. Bellah. It is part of a longer discussion of the evolution of the term theoria and its successor, &ldquotheory&rdquo. Bellah in turn draws on Andrea Nightingale, Spectacles of Truth in Classical Greek Philosophy: Theoria in Its Cultural Context (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004).

Bellah writes (on page 577):

Thus, on Bellah's recounting of Nightingale's observation, it is the religious festival taking place in the Piraeus, and Socrates's role as a theoros of that festival, that is salient as the opening of the narrative frame for the جمهورية.

It is an allusion to the Cave Allegory. The enlightened one is going into the cave to enlighten. It is also a spiritual descent because he is also going there for pagan worship to pray to the goddess for the festival, which is below the wisdom of Plato and Way below the wisdom of Jesus Christ.

It simply means Plato went down to the foundation of the Republic to conduct a diagnosis of the condition of the Republic.

We should before distinguish about what is the purpose of the Republic. Without this missing point we cannot pinpoint the real context. Some sources I cannot recall at the moment( sorry, maybe neoplatonic) say Plato kept correcting the Republic books all his life. In any case is such a long book where it is a pertinent assumption Plato did not leave to case the initial sentences. Several reasons for that:

1) Plato dialogues present meanings not always evident initially, nothing esoteric, just a fact, knew people that spent 20 years only on the Repubblic for instance.

2) The book is too long to not take attention to the first phrase, even because in the 10th book also there is a noticeable end.

3) The semantic analysis of all his dialogues show that the way they begin is almost always referring to some particular context.

Said that, the purpose of the book is political, metaphysical, on Dike, the justice? How Plato considers when he writes his book, the environment of that period?

With all these premises we can also think that he is referring to going down to the Ades. And also that can still remain valid other meanings, as the ones quoted so far. The Piraeus is an haven, a place where there are people usually different by philosophers. As it is a fiction, why that procession? It was quite popular this Thracian deity for sure at the time of Plato, but could we think that there was some reasons behind? Bendis as Artemis is linked to Cybele, and here should be seen the link with the last book of the republic where there is the myth of Er. Andin this sense would be interesting to see how the similarities with the concept of a cathabasis in Ades become much more familiar.


Ancient Greek Lion from Port of Piraeus Now Adorns Venice’s Arsenal

The ancient Greek Lion at the Arsenal in Venice. Credit: Didier Descouens/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA-4.0

The story of the Ancient Greek Piraeus Lion, which is now in Venice, is one of several which are part of Greece’s long history of ancient sculpted masterpieces — and their subsequent looting, which has meant that many of them are now scattered in museums and historical sites around the world.

The imposing lion statue, thought to have been sculpted around 360 BC, was the landmark of the ancient Greek port of Piraeus, which stood proud in its place at the entrance to the harbor until 1687 — when it was looted by Venetian naval commander Francesco Morosini.

It is currently on display at the Venetian Arsenal, as a symbol of Venice’s patron saint, Saint Mark.

Ancient Greek port Piraeus nicknamed “Lion Port” because of statue

The port of Piraeus has served as the harbor of Athens from ancient times until today. Its proud lion was a famous landmark that caused the Italians to name Piraeus “Porto Leone” (Lion Port), leaving out its actual location.

In fact, the first mention of the port as Porto Leone is made on a naval map drawn up by the Genoese Pietro Visconti in 1318.

Made of white marble, the lion is an imposing 3 meters (9 feet) tall. It is in a sitting position and its hollow throat and the marks of a missing pipe running across its back indicates that its was most likely part of a fountain, as the description by the Venetians about water flowing from its mouth into a cistern at its feet indicates.

Travelers and sailors over the centuries have created several legends about the lion. One of these says that a pregnant Turkish woman looked at the statue and then gave birth to a monster with the face of a lion, with rabbit’s ears and human legs, which cried out like a dog.

At that time, it is said that Turkish authorities ordered the newborn’s killing and did not allow the baby’s burial, sending it to France for study.

Similar legends circulated throughout the Middle Ages, generating awe in the seamen of the time.

The Piraeus Lion was taken to Venice in 1687

The lion was defaced during the 11th century by Swedes, who were mercenaries in the service of the Byzantine (Eastern Roman) Emperor. The Swedes carved graffiti on the lion, in the form of runes, which were recognized many years later as such by Swedish diplomat Johan David Akerblad, at the end of the eighteenth century.

تآكلت النقوش بسبب الطقس والتلوث في البندقية ، مما جعل العديد من الأحرف الرونية الفردية بالكاد مقروءة الآن. توصل المترجمون الذين حاولوا إعادة بناء بعض الأحرف الرونية ، وملء الفراغات لتحديد الكلمات التي يمثلونها ، إلى نتائج غير حاسمة.

خلال حرب البندقية ضد الإمبراطورية العثمانية في عام 1687 ، استولى الفينيسيون على أثينا وأطلقت مدافع موروسيني # 8217s على بارثينون ، مما تسبب في أضرار. ثم قامت القوات الفينيسية بنهب المدينة وأخذت تمثال الأسد الشهير إلى البندقية كغنيمة حرب.

اليوم ، هناك نسخة من نظرات الأسد مثل الحارس المخيف في جميع السفن القادمة إلى الميناء ، بينما يتم عرض نسخ أخرى في متحف بيرايوس الأثري ، ومن المثير للاهتمام ، في المتحف السويدي للآثار الوطنية في ستوكهولم.


شاهد الفيديو: Walking Around Piraiki, Piraeus 4K- Athens Greece - Virtual Walking Tour + Travel Guide (يوليو 2022).


تعليقات:

  1. Voodookazahn

    يا هلا!!! يا هلا!!!!!! يا هلا!!!!!!!!

  2. Kazralabar

    أنا آسف ، لكنني أعتقد أنك مخطئ. أقترح مناقشته. أرسل لي بريدًا إلكترونيًا إلى PM ، سنتحدث.

  3. Malagul

    أنا آسف ، لكنني أعتقد أنك مخطئ. أنا متأكد. دعنا نناقش. أرسل لي بريدًا إلكترونيًا إلى PM.

  4. Callough

    زارت الفكرة الرائعة

  5. Gedalyahu

    إنه عار!

  6. Ahtunowhiho

    يا لها من الكلمات الصحيحة ... سوبر ، فكرة رائعة



اكتب رسالة